Just like a rifle without it's bolt carrier and bullets. The potential within it is unquestioned, and when the parts are assembled together, this 'toy' turns into an invincible weapon. We just have to find our 'bolt carrier' and 'bullets' to fulfill our potential... -Your's Truly

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Running the Singapore River

Horrible news.

My RIGHT leg has struck ITBS. Yea. I should have guessed huh? Just when you thought life was gonna be good, you hit a wall and things go back to square one. What to do?

But thankfully I've learnt by past experience how to treat ITB so I'm pretty confident my right leg will heal in time. Just keep stretching, rest, and ...I think the root of the problem is my SHOE.

See, I'm still using the same shoe (Adi Supernova) now. Which is the exact same shoe I've been using since I started running. Obviously, cushion shoes DO NOT fit me at all. It's definitely the shoes man. These heavy ass supernovas, though comfortable as hell, is just pulling me downhill so it's time to throw them to the rack and get some new shoes.

Two options -- Vibram Fivefingers or Newton. Yes, I said I would be getting Newtons but I'm on budget now. A pair of Newtons would be a lot of damage to my bank balance. Meanwhile, I could go get myself a pair of VFF @ discounted price of $130 which can provide the same function if not perform even better. Looking at my pathetic running gait and time issues I seriously think getting VFF is a better choice as of now. Although ultimately I would get both of them. Newtons, I will definitely get them.

Today's run was one of the better ones. Of course I'm talking about scenery wise, not how I physically feel. Physically throughout I felt quite crappy. The dumb ITB started to annoy me after I passed by SP, and was in full force around commonwealth. HOWEVER, this ITB is bearable. Very much bearable, compared to the one on my left. Now, my left leg is perfectly alright (which is wonderful news;; recovery success!) but now it's the right one that's being an ass. As I said, it was bearable and as a matter of fact I managed to run through the pain and at one point it even dissipated so that was somewhat positive. But obviously the pain came back with a vengeance @ the last 1k or so, when I was reaching city hall mrt. Afterwards it became genuinely painful and I did struggle to walk. Right now as I walk I feel the pain, not extreme, but this bugger would require at least a week of recovery.

I started out very slowly, with a goal of pushing only when I reached Singapore River. That 3K, I had to look good and not like a n00b. Because of all the runners there and there WERE RUNNERS. Not as much as I expected but there were still a handful. And I have to say, the runners @ Sg River definitely look better than anywhere else. Many were wearing fancy gears or sporting marathon shirts. Most ran quite speedily (I was even overtaken by a tall blonde woman) -- I can say most are definitely NOT casual runners...

Funny thing happened when I ran pass a riverside bar; two waitress I think started to run with me while I bypassed the bar, how cheeky. Well I was embarrassed to say the least but looking back I should have been "angmoh" and give them a wave back... social skills FAIL haha. But it's good, RANDOM things like these should happen more often so that runners get distracted from the monotony of running.

The view is quite nice and surely motivates any runner to carry on. I tried the SG river 3K because of recommendation by a website, and I have no regrets.

In total, I did 12.6k which is just short of the 13K I routed (400m is nothing to nitpick about). We are still following the 10% rule and I think I'll probably stick to it until race day (2 DAYS AFTER O-R-D YEAAA). Wow, so excited. What a way to celebrate ORD! (call me mad, I don't care.)

Recommend everyone to run the Singapore River route (3K/6K for loop) at least once in your life! Now I will slowly go pamper my right leg...I'm sad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger